Monday, April 15, 2013

Sunny Rain

This last weekend was prom (Yay! Prom!). Even though I didn't technically go, I still went as a server. I helped clear off tables, had amazing food, and got to dance. I even got to know a girl who is an absolutely amazing person. She's smart and brave and not afraid to stand up for herself, which is everything that I wish I could be. More on her later.

Prom night, there was boy who was really, really brave and has earned my complete respect. Prom night, this he was a she. Let me tell you, in a small town, that takes more guts than I'll ever have. He looked fabulous. I was surprised at how well it went over. Most people were fine with it. But that's just it. Most people. Other people were asses and wouldn't drop it. Today, I found out that a few of those unlucky people got a little extra water and enzymes in their lemonade if you know what I mean.

I know they only think that way because of how they were raised.... But all the same, I think they kind of deserved it. Just know, I wasn't the one to commit the act.

Speaking of stupid people, let's talk about the average teenage male. Today in one of my classes, the amazing and brave girl I was telling you guys about was talking to a guy in my class. This guy has his moments, but usually I can't stand him. Today was one of those days. This girl and this guy were arguing to the point where she was on the verge of tears. She said something along the lines of I'm moving to Canada, so that men like you can't control me. I felt terrible for her and myself because, let's face it, America is being controlled by men. No matter how much we fight, women are viewed as powerless. The reason it is so hard to break out of this is because women have been viewed like that for centuries. Slowly, this is changing. Slowly, the views on homosexuality are changing. But, it's peers like my peers that make me dread the future of the world.

My heart goes out to everyone hurt in the bombings in Boston. I wish I could be there helping at this very second.

I hope something in this post made sense.

~Em



No comments:

Post a Comment