Wednesday, April 3, 2013

College... Er... Hmm.

I think a lot about my future especially college and jobs and traveling. I have a lot of questions about college, mostly because I am the type of person who has to everything right the first time. I feel like I have to pick out the perfect major for myself and I can't change it. This, of course, is complete bullshit. But, I think it anyway.

Question One: Should I pick out a general major (I.E. Biology) in college and then narrow the subject (To, say, neurology) as a postgrad?

Since most of the things that I am really interested in right now are in the science and/or medical field, I am definitely planning on going somewhere as a postgrad. My mother says that I should go to a state university (Neither of which specialize in anything I'm interested in) and then go to a postgrad program that is highly ranked in what I want to go in. I do trust my mother, but I would really like to hear a current college student's thoughts, ¿por favor?

Question Two: What is the most amount of majors you can have?

I've only ever heard of one person with a double major and a double minor. Anyone ever do a triple major? I mean, if I'm there, I might as well get everything I want to do done, right?

Question Three: Does it matter what college you go to (If you are going into science, math, medicine) as long as you can get into a great postgrad college?

Question Four: If you go into the Arts (I.E. Theatre, Movies, Graphic Design, Writing, ect), do you really need to go to college? Or are you better off finding a job and not wasting your time?

Question Five: (I know. I have lots of questions. This is the last, I swear.) Are foreign language classes worth taking in college, or is it better to travel abroad and learn the language where it is regularly spoken?

I'm thinking about taking a Spanish, Italian, or French minor. I think being bilingual is very important. Today's world is all about communication. The more languages you speak, the more people you can talk to.

I know I want to be a writer. Most definitely, but I don't think I'll go to college for it. I might just take creative writing classes on the side. There are three things I'm really interested in- Astrophysics, Astronomy, and Cognitive science/ Neurobiology.


  • Astrophysics
    • I've always been really interested in how celestial body move and interact, the big bang theory, the higgs boson particle, and things like that. I'm a very curious person by nature, and there's no way I could resist wondering about the lights in the sky. 
  • Astronomy 
    • Astronomy is basically like Astrophysics, but with less physics. 
  • Cognitive science/ Neurobiology
    • How could I resist the brain? So little in known about the organ sitting in the skull. I've spent countless hours reading articles and writing papers about the brain, focussing mostly on sleep and dreaming. Cognitive science would deal more with how the brain works and what part of the brain does what. I would spend a lot of time with mental diseases like schizophrenia and Alzheimers. Neurobiology would deal more with nerves- mainly the brain and nerve cord. This would have more of a math side to it. 
What are your plans for college? And, what universities do you guy recommend?

~Em

No comments:

Post a Comment